GSD is a leading and comprehensive medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology and plastic surgery medical group. We specialize in conditions of the skin, hair and nails, Mohs micrographic surgery for the treatment of skin cancer, surgical and non-surgical cosmetic skincare, anti-aging, body contouring, and plastic surgery. GSD provides excellent and personalized care to all of its patients.
Full time or Part time
Laboratory Scientists are responsible for grossing biopsies/small specimens, accessioning, transcription and maintaining logs and policies and procedures .
- Grossing biopsies, skin excisions performs gross tissue examination and must meet personnel qualifications set forth by the 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489 and the state of California .
- Keeps workflow moving and assists with workflow.
- Adheres to the laboratory’s quality control policies, documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Demonstrates capability of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and must either correct the problems or immediately notify the General Supervisor, technical Supervisor, or Laboratory Director.
- Reports all concerns of test quality and/or patient safety to the Lab Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Demonstrated skills in technical data interpretation and ability to troubleshoot.
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction and to know who the resources are for their direction.
- Understanding of the equipment used daily; including, tissue processors, embedding station, microtome, cover slipper, and cassette printer.
- Qualifications to Gross specimens
- Adequate experience in routine histology to act as a resource for other team members.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-past, deadline driven environment.
- Drive for Results (Service, Quality, and Continuous Improvement) – Ensure procedures and processes are in place that lead to delivery of quality results and continually reassess their effectiveness to achieve continuous improvement.
- Communication – Proficient verbal and written communication skills. Willingness to share and receive information and ideas from all levels of the organization in order to achieve the desired results.
- Teamwork – Commitment to the successful achievement of team and organizational goals through a desire to participate with and help other members of the team.
- Customer Service Focus – Demonstrate a focus on listening to and understanding client/customer needs and then delighting the client/customer by exceeding service and quality expectations.
Education, Certification/Licensure, and/or Experience
- Must meet CLIA/CA Grossing Guidelines CFR 493.1489
- BS in a Laboratory Science or Science
- 2-3 years of experience in histology
- Previous Lab Management preferred
- Previous Dermatology experience preferred